Friday, May 16, 2008

Thinking Outside the Box


ACEO Shadowbox Set
Originally uploaded by origami3d_cranes
Alchemy: A section on Etsy where buyers can request custom handmade items that they are unable to find anywhere else. Sellers "bid" for the job by describing how they would fulfill the request, and the buyer selects the one that best matches his/her wishes.

My very first "bid" on Alchemy was definitely out of the norm for me -- it was a request for three ACEO-sized shadow boxes. Though I'm mainly an origami person, not a woodworker, I had just finished a similar shadow box for the ACEOs in my shop. I wrote up a bid, and was fortunate enough to have it accepted.

I routed out the bottom edge of lengths of 1/2 inch by 1-1/2 inch fir, to create a shallow rabbet (so that the bottom would be completely "flush" with the sides). After putting the boxes together using miter joints, I cut pieces of 1/4 inch plywood to fit into the space at the bottom of the box. The customer requested that they be unfinished, so I didn't stain or paint, only sanded them.

I have to admit, I really enjoyed making these. In fact, I'm now looking for excuses to make them again...

4 comments:

Kathi said...

ooooh, i'd like to see a photo of these in action. i have a few aceo's i'd like to display on a shelf and i think they might be perfect! i admired these over on flickr. hope you're doing well!

3DCranes said...

Thanks, Kathi, the vog is driving my lungs crazy but I'm otherwise okay. These are a glass-less, slightly smaller version of the frame I made for one of my own ACEOs. The buyer didn't want these to store ACEOs in them, she meant for them to actually become ACEOs. Should be interesting, I hope I get to see it.

Amor De Plata said...

These boxes are really nice! Are you thinking of listing & selling them on Etsy?

Angela said...

Michelle, you really do well with woodworking. I'm impressed. I hope you do more.

Life is crazy, crazy, crazy!
But we are all ok. How are you guys?