Sunday, March 9, 2008

A Whale Tail and a Monster Thread


Whale Tail ACEO
Originally uploaded by origami3d_cranes
One of the things I've always loved best about Etsy (besides having the things I make seen all over the world) is the community in the forums. Yes, like any forum, it can get nasty at times, but for the most part, it's supportive and entertaining.

One particular forum thread I have been participating in started on January 26th of this year, and yes, it's still going strong. It was supposed to be a discussion among ACEO artists about what sells on Etsy, but has since evolved into a place to ask for advice or critiques on anything related to ACEOs, as well as to show off our latest creations, and for motivation among its members. There are now nearly 300 forum pages to this thread. A monster, indeed...

It was this thread that renewed my interest in creating ACEOs. The first result was my new ACEO title "Whale Tail." The second was that I finally finished one of my long overdue shadowbox frames for ACEOs.

Oh, and just in case you were wondering, ACEO stands for Art Cards, Editions and Originals. The only requirement is that they be limited in size to 2-1/2 inches by 3-1/2 inches. They originally evolved out of Artist Trading Cards(ATC) -- cards that artists would trade amongst themselves like baseball cards. But when, due to request from non-artists, people began selling them, the term ACEO was coined to differentiate them from the ones that were strictly for trade.

So, what else will that monster thread inspire me to produce? And just how long can it become? We'll just have to wait and see...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

wonderful comment on the thread that will not die. I am so happy that it inspired you to create aceos again. Linda

3DCranes said...

Thanks, Linda. I couldn't even begin to explain how great that thread has been for me... it would probably require a blog post as long as the thread, lol

Jessie said...

Being relatively new to Etsy, I have to say that I found my community of Etsy friends through the "whale of a thread"! Thanks for the tribute...great blog, by the way! And a big thanks to Althena for starting the thread in the first place and working so hard to showcase the art of all participants!!

Jessie
Etsy ID: jbguess

Denise said...

Even when I just lurk, look and love, this thread is important to me. It is sewing us a community.