Saturday, July 21, 2007

Google Checkout

I've finally added the option for Google Checkout to my Etsy shop. Google checkout is similar to PayPal, it's a service through which an online retailer can accept payments. To celebrate the change, I've decided to run a special: 10% of any purchase $20 or more, not including shipping (One item or a combination of items) -- if you opt to pay through Google.

Google is a little more involved than PayPal, mainly because it's not yet integrated with the Etsy website. To use it, you select "Other" as a payment method, then wait for me to send you an invoice.

I know that a lot of international shoppers think they can't use Google, but it's only the sellers that are limited. Sellers have to live within the U.S. or the U.K. There's a long list of countries where buyers can sign up for the (free) service. It's on the Google Checkout website.

I've always been told that it's never good to put all of one's eggs in one basket. That was the main reason I've decided to add another checkout option. I don't want to remain completely dependent on Paypal only. Only time will tell how it works out.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I recently started an etsy shop, using paypal for transactions. I've heard so many complaints about paypal that I've been looking into other modes of payment. So far, google checkout seems pretty sweet (their fees are less than paypal) and I feel pretty confident about google's customer service in general.

Anyways, I noticed that this was a pretty old post but I can't seem to find a follow-up on this. How is google checkout working for you?

-jess
pinkonbrown.etsy.com

3DCranes said...

Hi Jess,
I really like Google Checkout, but it's difficult to get people to use it on Etsy (because of the extra steps.) I think it's a good back-up service to have, though, because last Christmas season, I had a customer who could not get PayPal to work for her. I was able to process her payment through Google, and she even returned later for a second purchase.

I know it's been a while since I posted this entry, and a while since you've posted your comment, but hopefully, if you see it, it'll help you a little bit.