Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Unfinished business


Oh, what a procastinator I 've become! I participated in my first Creative Challenge on Etsy.com with #44, and #45 certainly seemed like it would be right up my alley. All I had to do was reveal a secret, or little known fact about myself in one of my works.
Okay. First thought: I don't have any secrets, not any that I'd want revealed for the whole wide world to see. Secrets . . . I was wracking my brain when the song "Masquerade" from Phantom of the Opera began playing through my head (shows what a music geek I am, but that wasn't the secret, it's a pretty well known fact).
"Masquerade! Paper faces on parade. Masquerade . . . Hide your face so the world will never find you . . ." -- from Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera.
That was it! I'd make a masquerade mask from gold origami cranes. A venetian style mask that might have been worn during that scene. It would still be a secret, I thought, even though it wasn't exactly my secret.
So here it is. Already 24 hours after Challlenge #46 has been posted on the forums and I still haven't listed my mask on Etsy. It's done. I think. But it still feels like something is missing . . .

While I'm on the subject of unfinished business, I need to give a long overdue shout out to the very first customer to purchase from me: Whimsywool. I've included her address in my "Interesting Links" section below. She has the most amazing shop, full of beautiful, handspun yarn that I've been admiring from some time. Unfortunately, I could never do any of it justice. I don't know how to knit and it's much too good for mere "experimenting." Not to mention, anything made from yarn wouldn't get much use for as long as I'm living in Hawaii -- it's just too hot!

No comments: